Absu Postgraduate Admission form 2020/2021 is out online, interested candidates can now purchase the form. Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission into the underlisted Postgraduate Diploma and Higher Degree Programmes of Abia State University in the 2020/2021 Academic Session.
Recommended UNIJOS admission list 2020/2021 is out.
- FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE
- DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS AND EXTENSION
- Postgraduate Diploma in Agricultural Economics and Extension
- Sc and PhD in Agricultural Economics and Extension with options in:
- Agricultural Economics
- Agricultural Production/Farm Management
- Agricultural Finance
- Agricultural Marketing and Co-operatives
- Agricultural Environmental Economics
- Agricultural Extension
- Rural Sociology and Community Development
- Agricultural Extension Communication
- Agricultural Extension Planning and Administration
- Rural Development and Extension Services.
- DEPARTMENT OF CROP PRODUCTION AND PROTECTION
- Postgraduate Diploma
- Sc and Ph.D in Crop Production and Protection with options in:
Agronomy, Agro Forestry and Physiology
See more courses available for Absu postgraduate admission form.
- DEPARTMENT OF ANIMAL SCIENCE AND FISHERIES
i Postgraduate Diploma in Animal Production
ii M.Sc and Ph.D in the following areas of specialization
- Ruminant Animal Production and Management
- Non-Ruminant Animal Production and Management
- Reproductive Physiology
- Animal Production
- Genetics and Breeding.
- DEPARTMENT OF SOIL SCIENCE
- Postgraduate Diploma
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Soil Science, with specialization in:
- Soil Fertility and Plant Nutrition
- Soil Physics
- Soil Chemistry
- Soil Pedology
- Soil Management and Conservation
- Soil Microbiology
- DEPARTMENT OF FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
M.Sc and Ph.D in the following options/areas of specialization:
(a) Food Science and Processing
(b) Food Engineering
- FACULTY OF BIOLOGICAL AND PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- DEPARTMENT OF BIOCHEMISTRY
PGD, M.Sc, MPhil and Ph.D programmes with specialization in:
- Medical Biochemistry
- Nutrition and Toxicology
- Environmental Biochemistry
- Industrial Biochemistry
- DEPARTMENT OF MICROBIOLOGY
- Postgraduate Diploma in Microbiology
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Microbiology with the following areas of specialization:
- Industrial Microbiology
- Immunology and Immunochemistry
- Medical Microbiology
- Environmental Microbiology
- Public Health
- Agricultural Microbiology
- Soil Microbiology
- DEPARTMENT OF PLANT SCIENC AND BIOTECHNOLOGY
- Sc and Ph.D in Plant Ecology
- Sc and Ph.D in Plant Pathology (Phytopathology)
- Sc and Ph.D in Plant Physiology
- DEPARTMENT OF PURE AND INDUSTRIAL CHEMISTRY
- Postgraduate Diploma (PGD CHE) in pure and Industrial Chemistry
- Sc and Ph.D Industrial Chemistry with options in:
- Mineral Processing and Extension Metallurgy
- Chemical Process Technology
- Polymer Technology
- Petroleum Chemistry
- Separation Chemistry
- Sc and Ph.D degree in Pure Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry
- Environmental Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry.
- DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICS
- Sc in Astrophysics
- Sc and Ph.d in Geophysics
- Sc in Atmospheric Physics
- Sc in Medical Physics
- DEPARTMENT OF ANIMAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL BIOLOGY (ZOOLOGY)
M.Sc and Ph.D with specialization in:
- Medical Entomology/Parasitology
- Medical Parasitology
iii. Environmental Biology
- FACULTY OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
- DEPARTMENT OF ACCOUNTANCY
- Postgraduate Diploma in Accountancy
- M.Sc (Accountancy)/M.Phil
- Ph.D (Accountancy)
- DEPARTMENT OF MARKETING
- Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing
- M.Sc (Marketing)/M.Phil
- D (Marketing)
- DEPARTMENT OF MANAGEMENT
- Postgraduate Diploma in Management
- M.Sc (Management) MPhil
- Ph.D (Management)
- DEPARTMENT OF BANKING AND FINANCE
- Postgraduate Diploma in Banking and Finance
- M.Sc Banking and Finance/M.Phil
- MBA Banking and Finance
- Ph.D (Finance)
- 5. DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS
- Postgraduate Diploma in Economics
- M.Sc and Ph.D with specialization in:
- Development Economics/M.Phil
- Industrial Economics
iii Monetary Economics
- Quantitative Economics
- FACULTY OF LAW
The Faculty offers the following full time/part time programmes in the following areas.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Law (PGD Laws)
- D (Course work and Thesis)
(Chosen from the following areas. M.Phil
Comparative Constitutional Law
- Comparative Criminal Law
- Comparative Company Law
- Jurisprudence and Legal Theory
- Intellectual and Industrial Property Law
- International Economic Law
- International Protection of Human Rights
- International Humanitarian Law
- FACULTY OF ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES
- DEPARTMENT OF GEOGRAPHY AND PLANNING
PGD, M.Sc, M.Phil and Ph.D in:
– Environmental Management
– Hydrology and Water Resources
– Agricultural Development
– Population Geography
– Rural Development
- DEPARTMENT OF ESTATE MANAGEMENT
- Postgraduate Diploma in Estate Management
- M.Sc Degree in Estate Management
- Ph.D in Estate Management.
- DEPARTMENT OF URBAN AND REGIONAL PLANNING
- M.Sc in Urban and Regional Planning (MURP) M.Phil
- Ph.D in Urban and Regional Planning
- DEPARTMENT OF ARCHITECTURE
- Postgraduate Diploma in Architecture
- M.Sc (Architecture)
- M.Phil (Architecture)
- Ph.D (Architecture)
- DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- Postgraduate Diploma in Environmental Resource Management
- M.Sc and Ph.D with Specialization in the following areas.
– Hydrology and Water Resource
– Pollution and Waste Management
– Bioremediation and Pollution Control
– Environmental Health and Safety
– Environmental Resource Management
– Environmental Engineering Management
- FACULTY OF EDUCATION
Full-time, Part-time and Sandwich programmes in the following areas:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE)
- M.Ed and Ph.D in the following areas:
– Curriculum Studies
– Educational Technology, Language Education, Education
Economics, Accounting Education, Government Education
– Measurement and Evaluation
– Educational Psychology
– Guidance and Counselling
– Educational Administration and Planning
- M.A (ED) and Ph.D in the following areas:
– Education Social Studies
– Education Sociology
– Cooperative Education
– Education Philosophy
– Education History
- COLLEGE OF MEDICINE AND HEALTH SCIENCES
- Postgraduate Diploma in Human Physiology and Pharmacology
- M.Sc and Ph.D programmes in the following areas:
– Human Anatomy
– Human Physiology
– Environmental Health Sciences:
- Health, Safety and Environment (HSE)
- Environmental Epidemiology and Toxicology
- Pollution Control Management
- Solid and Special Waste Management
- Food Hygiene, Safety and Quality Assurance
- Vector Control and Pest Management
- Hygiene Education and Promotion
- Water Sanitation and Hygiene
- Radiation Health and Control
- Environmental Health Laboratory and Instrumentation
- Occupational Health and Industrial Hygiene
- Occupational and Environmental Pathology (For the Medically Qualified).
- Environmental Occupational Medicine (For the Medically Qualified)
- M.Sc, and Ph.D in Clinical Optometry and Fellowship of the Nigerian
College of Optometry (FNCO)
M.Sc, M.Phil/Ph.D, Ph.D with specialization in
– Molecular Pharmacology
– Neuro Pharmacology
– Biochemical Pharmacology
– Clinical Pharmacology
Public Health Programme
- PGD in Public Health (PGDPH)
- Master in Public Health (MPH)
- Ph.D Public Health
- Environmental Health and Safety
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Health Promotion
- Health Economics
- Health Policy and Administration
- Community Health
- MJC ECHERUO FACULTY OF HUMANITIES AND SOCIAL SCIENCES
- DEPARTMENT OF POLITICAL SCIENCE
- Postgraduate Diploma in the following areas:
- International Studies
- Public Administration
– Public Administration
– International Affairs and Diplomacy
– M.Sc in Public Administration
- Ph.D in the Department of Political Science
Area of Specialization:
The Ph.D programme is for candidates who already possess M.Sc in Political Science, Public Administration and Strategic Studies.
- DEPARTMENT OF MASS COMMUNICATION
- Postgraduate Diploma in Mass Communication
- M.A & Ph.D with specialization in:
– Mass Communication
– Print Media
– Advertising and Public Relations
- DEPARTMENT OF SOCIOLOGY
PGD, M.Sc and Ph.D in:
– Sociology of Development
– Industrial Sociology/Labour Relations
– Population Studies (Demography)
– Medical Sociology/Anthropology
– Gender Studies
– Ethnographic Studies
- DEPARTMENT OF FRENCH AND TRANSLATION STUDIES
– Postgraduate Diploma
– Translation Studies
M.A & Ph.D
– Foreign Language
– Translation Studies & Linguistics
– French Language & Linguistics (FLL)
– French Literature (FLT)
– Professional Translation Studies (French/English or
– African & Caribbean Literature in Africa (ACL)
- DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE
– PGD, M.A & Ph.D in Literature
- DEPARTMENT OF LINGUISTICS
M.A & Ph.D in
– Applied Linguistics
- DEPARTMENT OF HISTORY & INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
PGD, M.A & Ph.D with specialization in:
- Urban History
- Economic History
- African History
- Political History
- Social History
- Nigerian History & Politics
- International & Diplomatic Studies
- Military & Strategic Studies
- Peace and Conflict Studies
- DEPARTMENT OF RELIGIOUS STUDIES AND PHILOSOPHY
M.A with specialization in:
– Christian Theology
– Religion and Society
– Biblical Studies (Old & New Testaments)
– African Traditional Religion.
- DEPARTMENT OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCE
Postgraduate Diploma in Library and Information Science
The following constitute the minimum entry requirements to our postgraduate programmes:
- POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA PROGRAMME
A graduate from a recognized university or a person with a qualification adjudged to be equivalent to a first degree may be admitted, provided the matriculation and Departmental requirements of this university are satisfied. A holder of Upper Credit in the HND from a recognized institution may also be admitted.
- Applicants for PGD in Business Administration must in addition possess credits at O’level in English Language, Mathematics and Economics.
- Applicants for Diploma in Estate Management must possess good honours degree in the appropriate professional examinations of the Nigerian Institute of town planners and the relevant cognate experience may be considered.
- For postgraduate Diploma in Microbiology, applicants must possess one of the following: B.Sc or HND in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Zoology, Botany, Laboratory Technology, Food Science and Technology or Chemistry.
- For Postgraduate Diploma in Pharmacology, applicants must possess B.Sc in allied services from reputable Universities.
- MASTERS DEGREE PROGRAMME
- A candidate with a first degree from a recognized University having a minimum of second class lower division may be admitted, provided the university matriculation and Departmental requirements are satisfied, however, candidates with CGPA of 2.4 on a 4 point scale or 2.7 points on a 5 point scale and above will be given preference.
- A candidate with a good postgraduate diploma from a recognized University may also be admitted.
- Candidates for M.A, and M.Ed who do not hold a degree in the relevant field may be required to do Postgraduate Diploma in the course of study.
- Applicants for Business Administration, Industrial Sociology and Personnel Management programmes are required to have credit level passes in English Language, Mathematics and Economics at O’level.
- For the Masters Degree in Surgical Pathology or Human Physiology, applicants must have the M.B.B.S or an equivalent degree obtained from Abia State University or any recognized University. For the Master’s Degree Studies in Human Physiology, a good second class honours degree in Physiology is acceptable. In addition, a good degree in a related subject, provided the Physiology content is substantial, will be considered.
- For the Masters Degree in Urban and Regional Planning, Estate Management holders of Abia State University Postgraduate Diploma and that of any recognized Universities in Urban and Regional Planning at the merit level and above will be considered.
- For M.Sc in Clinical Optometry, applicants must have the O.D. degree from an accredited university and ODORBN with CGPA of not less than 3.00 points in a 5 Point scale.
- DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY
- Candidates with a good master degree (NOT MBA) in the relevant or related discipline which includes course work and a defended research dissertation from a recognized University may be admitted, provided the university matriculation requirement is satisfied.
- Candidates with a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.0 points on a 4 point scale or 4.0 points on a 5 point scale will be given preference. Candidates must have obtained (60%) sixty percent average in both the course work and the Masters Dissertation examined by an External Examiner and involving an oral defence. In addition to these admission requirements, candidates may be required to present themselves for selection test and interview. Candidates with CGPA lower than 3.0 points (2.5-2.99) on a 4 point scale or lower than 4.0 points (3.50-3.99) on a 5 point scale will be required to enroll for the M.Phil/Ph.D
Photocopies of NYSC Discharge/Exemption Certificates, photocopies of all qualifying credentials, including O’level must be attached to the completed application forms. Candidates should arrange for their transcripts to be sent directly to the Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies. Non-receipt of transcripts in time is at the detriment of the applicant.
DURATION OF STUDIES
Postgraduate Diploma Programmes
- Full-Time Diploma: Minimum of two semesters and a maximum of semesters.
- Part-Time Diploma: Minimum of three semester and a maximum of eight semesters.
Masters Degree Programmes
- Full-Time: A minimum of three semesters and a maximum of six semesters.
- Part-Time: A minimum of four semesters and a maximum of eight semesters.
- Full-Time: A minimum of six semesters and a maximum of eight semesters.
- Part-Time: A minimum of eight semesters and a maximum of ten semesters
- Full-Time: A Minimum of six semesters and a maximum of six semesters.
- Part-Time: A minimum of eight semesters and a maximum of ten semesters. See how to Apply for Absu postgraduate admission form below.
How to Apply for Absu Postgraduate Admission Form
- Candidates should proceed to any of the following banks: First Bank Plc, Zenith, UBA, Ecobank Plc, ABSU MFB Uturu, Keystone Bank Plc, Fidelity Bank Plc, Union Bank, Skye Plc. Log on to the e-transact network and request to pay application fee of N11,500 (Eleven thousand, five hundred naira) for the form and service charges.
- Collect the e-transact receipt from the Bank on payment and proceed to any internet centre for the completion of the form.
- Log on to the ABSU portal absu.net and complete application form.
- Finally, confirm your entry and print a copy of the form as well as three copies of the referee confidential reports which will be forwarded to your referees for completion (Two of these should be the candidate’s former teacher at the University level).